This is one more basic exercise. A functional group
may be described as:
- The part of the molecule which is responsible
for its characteristic reactions.
- The group that functions in a reaction
- Thus a double bond is the functional group of
an alkene because that is the place addition, which is its characteristic
reaction takes place.
- Similarly a triple bond is the functional group
of an alkyne
- There are many functional groups, some of which
are listed below.
- In the following exercise the general formula
and the expanded structure of the general formula of some functional
groups is shown. Also the molecular formula for some specific
molecule is shown. write its expanded structure
An alcohol has an -OH group bonded to a sp3
It has an -OH group directly attached to a carbon
of the aromatic ring (benzene).
The group –CHO, represents an aldehyde. This
does not mean the H is bonded to C and O, the correct structure
is shown on the right.